I heard that it's a good idea to document my progress on my projects for future me and future people to take a look at. So, that's the exact function of this blog. As of the starting of this blog I, Roy Xing, am a rising junior in High School. Unfortunately my previous self ventures have already been completed and scrapped for future projects (as of starting this I'm still a lowly high school student without proper funding haha).
Here I'm going start with publishing the parts and progress of a particular robot that I'm working on, Fetch. As the name implies the robot is meant to fetch objects. The frame of the robot is inspired and modified based off of the Chefbot made by Lentin Joseph. The entire robot is scratch built as I firstly didn't have the money for a Create or Kobuki and there's just something about building your own frame that's so satisfying.
The Goal: Fetch will be able to autonomously map out its room with a depth sensor (an Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor) and navigate around its environment to locate and obtain a particular object (a green pom pom for example).
How: By me building the robot
Why: This is a tricky part to answer with in-depth insight. Am I doing it for school? No. Am I doing it for work? No. Am I doing it to impress others? No.
If I had to sum it up quickly my answer would simply be, because I want to. Now I know that isn't much of a satisfying answer, but if I went more in-depth it might get all feelsy and sappy peering into the past of a probably angsty 16 year old who still hasn't been able to get into a nice relationship.
However, there is a feeling of enjoyment and devotion I have towards creating things. Starting from making papercrafts as a child, to moving onto battlebots as a middle schooler, and now creating full autonomous robots as a high schooler there has always been a feeling. A feeling of accomplishment, struggle, enjoyment, an intangible sense of more. I want to create.
Welp, that got sappy at the end, to be expected of kid who's still a teen. But yeah.
TL;DR: This blog is about the on-going documentation and progress of a robot named Fetch.
No comments:
Post a Comment